21 June 2006

The Power of the Internet (in particular, Google)

One of the greatest public school teachers in California retired in 1989. He was history teacher Mr. Robert Katz of Mark Keppel High School in Alhambra, CA.

He taught at least three generations of Keppel students. And for those of us who were fortunate enough to have been taught by him in AP American History, we were forever changed. He loved history, and his love of the subject was infectious.

No, this is NOT an obituary. I don't know the status of Mr. Katz. But as I was Googling, I found an archived letter to the editor of Time Magazine dated October 5, 1962. The writer was Mr. Robert Katz who commented on Time's piece on the Monroe Doctrine. Yes, Mr. Katz made sure that his 1989 AP class thoroughly learned the Monroe Doctrine.

Sir:
Congratulations on your "The Durable Doctrine" [Sept. 21]. I have assigned my international relations class this article as a "must" reading for an excellent brief history of our Monroe Doctrine.
I noticed one major omission in your article that disturbs me. Monroe's Doctrine also says, "Our policy in regard to Europe . . . remains the same, which is, not to interfere in the internal concerns of any of its powers . . ."
ROBERT KATZ Mark Keppel High School Alhambra, Calif.

No comments: